Step by Step Recipe
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a baking sheet previously covered with parchment paper.
- Peel and chop the onion and fry it in a pan with a little extra virgin olive oil.
- Wash, clean, and cut the red pepper and add it to the pan when the onion is tender.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste, stir and cook for a few more minutes.
- Peel the zucchini and dice it, adding it to the pan along with the Provencal herbs.
- Cut the 100 grams of feta cheese into cubes and add it to the pan. Season with salt if necessary and cook for a few more minutes.
- Spread the filling in the center of the puff pastry sheet and then seal it on all sides. Paint the surface with the beaten egg.
- Put in the oven heated to 210ºC for 20 minutes.
Vegetable Puff: Complete Recipe
With the arrival of Christmas, family meals and celebrations with friends begin to accumulate and the menu is one of the most important elements.
Vegetable puff pastry is a perfect option if you want to avoid the most typical dishes, and it is also ideal to take care of the excesses of the holidays and for vegetarian guests.
In this recipe, vegetables such as zucchini or pepper are used, but you can add others or substitute them for the ones you like the most such as eggplant, spinach, or mushrooms. In addition, feta cheese gives them a unique and different touch that many will surely love. Either as an appetizer to open your mouth or as a first avocado accompanied by a salad, go ahead and prepare this vegetable puff pastry and you will surely repeat very soon.
- The first step in making this delicious recipe for vegetable puff pastry will be to place the puff pastry on the oven tray where you are going to bake it.
- Put a little greaseproof paper or parchment paper first so that later it doesn’t stick and you can easily unmold it.
- Then peel and chop the onion and pour a drizzle of olive oil into the pan. Put it to heat it up and then fry the onion for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash the red pepper and remove the stem; then open it in half and clean it of seeds and remains of skin.
- Lastly, cut it into short, thin strips. As soon as the onion has turned transparent, add the red pepper to the pan.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste, stir and fry for another 4 or 5 minutes.
- Next, peel the zucchini and then cut it into small cubes, this being the next ingredient that you will have to add to the filling that is being prepared in the pan.
- Stir again and season with Provencal herbs to taste.
- Cut the 100 grams of feta cheese into small squares and add it to the rest of the vegetables. Stir and test the salt point in case it is necessary to rectify it.
- Let everything cook for a couple more minutes and then spread the filling on the puff pastry sheet that you have spread out on the baking sheet.
- The best thing is that you place the filling in the center so that later you can close the puff pastry on the sides. Although another option is to directly place another puff pastry sheet on top and make a kind of vegetable patty.
- Finally, heat the oven to 210ºCMeanwhile beat the egg, and paint the surface of the puff pastry with it. After 20 minutes in the oven, you will see that the puff pastry has acquired a beautiful golden hue and you can now serve it to your guests.
Recipe to Make Homemade Puff Pastry
When preparing any recipe with puff pastry, you can choose to buy it or make it homemade.
If you opt for this last option:
- you will have to put 500 grams of flour in a deep container and make a small hole in the center where you can add 250 milliliters of water,
- a pinch of salt,
- and 60 grams of butter already melted.
- She then works the dough with her hands until it begins to take shape.
- Then put it on a countertop covered with a little flour and keep working it for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Nor should you spend too much time kneading it, just enough so that the ingredients are integrated, otherwise it would be too elastic.
- Lastly, roll the dough into a ball and put it in the bowl covered with a clean kitchen towel.
- Then let it sit for 45 minutes in the fridge.
- When the indicated time has passed, remove the dough from the refrigerator and put it on a previously floured worktop.
- With a kitchen roller, roll it out a little and then place 350 grams of butter at room temperature in the center.
- It is important that you remove this ingredient from the refrigerator a few hours before starting the recipe so that it warms up a bit and then you can work it without a problem.
- Fold the dough on itself so that it covers the butter and begins to work it again with rapid movements and always stretching in the same direction.
- When it is stretched, fold both ends towards the center, remaining one over the other.
- That is, it should be G-shaped as if it were folded in the shape of a triptych.
- Then turn a quarter of a turn and roll the dough again with the rolling pin and repeat the folding.
- By last, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Then you will have to repeat the folding and stretching process 3 or 4 more times, letting it rest in the fridge for 20 minutes after each one.