Step by step Recipe
- Clean the trout already opened and without bones under the tap water.
- Then dry them with kitchen paper before adding a little salt inside.
- Flour the trout on both sides and fry them in plenty of hot oil.
- Flip them over so they brown evenly on both sides.
- Then remove them from the pan and allow them to rest on a piece of kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
- Peel and cut into thin slices the 2 garlic cloves, the chives, the 2 carrots, and the 3 leeks.
- Strain the oil in which you have fried the trout with a fine mesh strainer and return it to the pan over medium heat. When hot, add the garlic and onion to brown for a few minutes.
- Add the carrot and leek to the sauce, season with salt to taste, and stir with a wooden spoon. Lower the heat to low and put a lid to poach the vegetables for a few minutes.
- When the vegetables are tender add some black peppercorns, the 3 bay leaves, a handful of thyme, and a few pieces of orange peel.
- Also add the white wine, vinegar, and water. Stir and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the 4 fried trout to the sauce and let everything rest again for another 5 minutes.
- Put the pickled trout in previously sterilized jars to store them under vacuum or place them in a source if you are going to consume them at the moment.
- In the latter case, you should let them rest for 1 or 2 days since this is when they are at their best.
Complete Recipe of Pickled Trout
Pickled trout or pickled trout is a recipe that has been part of traditional Spanish cuisine for centuries. Although other fish such as mackerel or sea bass can be used, trout is the one that has traditionally been used when cooking this dish.
Despite being a preparation that is usually served during the summer months, the truth is that it can be consumed at any time of the year, as it is delicious.
The recipe is very simple, having first to fry the fish and then cook it together with a sauce of onion, garlic, carrot, and leek seasoned with spices, as well as wine and vinegar.
The normal thing is to make a large quantity of pickled trout and keep it in vacuum glass jars since in optimal conditions they can be kept in perfect condition for months.
However, this dish can also be consumed at the moment, although it is recommended to let it rest for 1 or 2 days so that the flavors bind together and the fish soaks well in the pickle. Served as a garnish or in salads, pickled trout is a very versatile recipe that can get you out of more than one trouble. If you dare to cook it, you just have to follow the recipe that we indicate below and you will see how it surprises you by how delicious it is.
Elaboration of Recipe “Pickled Trout”
- The first thing to do before starting the recipe is to clean the trout, which must be open and without bones.
- Wash them with plenty of tap water, dry them perfectly with a little kitchen paper, and then add a little salt to the inside of the 4 fish.
- Pour a little wheat flour on a plate and coat the trout on both sides, then pour plenty of extra virgin olive oil into a deep frying pan and put it to heat.
- Fry the trout for a few minutes, turning them so that they brown evenly on both sides.
- Then take them out and let them cool on some kitchen paper to absorb all the excess oil.
- The next step will be to peel and finely chop the 2 garlic cloves and the spring onion.
- Then, with the help of a fine-mesh strainer, strain the oil in which you have fried the trout and put it back in the pan.
- Put it to heat again and fry the garlic and onion in it, stirring every so often with a wooden spoon so that it does not burn.
- Meanwhile, peel the 2 carrots and cut them into slices, doing the same with the 3 leeks.
- After a few minutes, add the leek and carrot to the garlic and onion.
- Also, add a little salt, stir and put a lid on the pan, letting everything simmer over low heat.
- When all the vegetables are tender, it will be time to add some black peppercorns to the pan -the amount depends on personal taste-, the 3 bay leaves, a little thyme and a few pieces of orange peel previously washed under the water tap.
- Stir so that everything is integrated and add the 200 milliliters of white wine, the 200 milliliters of white vinegar, and the 200 milliliters of water.
- Stir again and let everything cook for 5 minutes uncovered for the alcohol to evaporate. After the indicated time, add the 4 fried trout to the pan along with the rest of the ingredients and let it rest for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, put everything in a source or on a tray where you should let them rest for 1 or 2 days before savoring these delicious pickled trout.
- If you do not want to consume them at the moment, you can also choose to store them in jars previously sterilized in boiling water and which you must vacuum close, keeping them in a place with little humidity and away from any source of heat.